Monday, April 23, 2012

Putting the Work in WAHM

It's been a while since my last post and that's a good thing. I was knee deep in a major project with a client for my business (more about what I do can be found here). I was invigorated, excited, motivated and energized about what I was doing, which is a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.

I've written about how I found the transition from office to home challenging. A social creature by nature, the solitude was sometimes too much to handle. So I solved that problem with my business.

Part of my process is to immerse myself in my client's office environment. Experience and observe, audit and report. It means a change of scenery with every new project, meeting new and interesting people and learning about some fascinating work.

When I returned to my home office at the end of my observation period, I hunkered down for two weeks writing my report. This time it wasn't so challenging. The focus and comfort of my home office continued to fuel me.

The other thing I've managed to do is shut my office door at the end of the day and focus on my family. I leave work at the computer. And yes, sometimes I spend an evening or a Sunday afternoon tapping away on the keyboard, but that's out of inspiration, unlike in past when it's been a requirement.

I certainly may not be a WAHM for the rest of my life, but I've seemed to find a balance of both worlds which suits me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment