Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Just like US! Beyonce Edition

Baby Blue Ivy Carter joined the world on Saturday and to commemorate her birth, proud papa Jay-Z released the song Glory, featuring a little B.I.C. crying at the end.

I totally identify with the feelings of elation that Jay-Z documents, but it wasn't until I read the lyrics that I truly felt connected to this song.

He reveals that he and Beyonce suffered a miscarriage before the pregnancy with Blue Ivy.

I've posted on this site that many couples who face this tragic event know that it is 'common' - it's often the first thing that people say when they find out. But it doesn't make it any less devastating. A tweep I followed started a website where couples that experience the loss of a baby, at whatever stage, can share their experience. Unspoken Grief tries to eliminate the stigma around discussing miscarriages etc.

In sharing my loss, I've connected with so many that have shared their own loss, maybe even for the first time. So my reaction to learning about the loss that Jay-Z and Beyonce suffered intrigued me.

These are people I have never met and will likely never meet - but I feel closer to them. And I applaud them for breaking their silence and sharing their loss, in hopes that it will truly make women like me know that it can happen to anyone and it is truly out of our control.

It also shares hope. That out of that grief, they went on to have a healthy baby Blue. The baby that was meant to be.

Congrats to the Carter family and thank you for giving me more reasons to hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment