Friday, January 13, 2012

Social Media Saved My Sanity

Those dark, early days of motherhood are a blur. Sleeping, feeding, eating, changing diapers - repeat every two hours. Some days I didn't know what was up or down. I couldn't remember if I had brushed my teeth that morning. I would forget to eat (or I would choose sleeping over eating). The world was still going on around me, but I was in this magic bubble of motherhood.

Prior to the birth of Lucas, my husband gifted me with a netbook for our anniversary. With a 10 inch screen, it could be easily balanced on one knee. At the time, we only had a desktop computer, so his rationale was to give me more flexibility on staying connected once Lucas came. Little did he know that it would become a life saver.

Within arms reach were so many resources for me - and new mom sites pop up every day. Yummy Mummy Club, Urban Moms, ParentCentral, Baby Center and so many more had articles and posts that I could turn to in a time of need.

The most important of these were Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook allowed me to reach out to friends and family with questions and concerns - some of whom I haven't seen since grade school, high school or university days. We were suddenly connected again through this common bond. Friends of friends were sharing information via my comments thread so I created a group for them to connect directly (now archived due to Facebook's new groups settings - I was unable to transfer for reasons unknown).

Twitter also allowed for the opportunity to go outside of my Facebook circle and lean on moms all over the world. I still follow the #zombiemoms on Twitter, who trade secrets and advice at the wee hours of the morning while breastfeeding, watching over a sick child, or unable to sleep with the worries of the world on their shoulders.

The netbook was so easy to type and handle while also nursing an infant. I felt like I was participating and not just cooped up at home.

A couple of months after Lucas was born, I received an iPhone for my birthday, which allowed even more flexibility. At the drop of a hat, I can instantly reach out to so many lovely parents to bend their ear or share a funny story.

So for some expectant mothers who have asked how to prepare for the baby ahead, I've suggested they surround themselves with resources. Parents who have been there and can share. It will make those early days feel not so dark.

4 comments:

  1. Many, many years ago b/f twitter, I was on message boards. I originally started out on a wedding message board and then we all sort of graduated to having babies so we created a baby message board. Those women saved me in what turned out to be very desperate times (I had PPD). I don't know if I could have made it through without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the winter months were the hardest. On a cold day like today (and no car), pushing the stroller to get to my closest mom friends (still a good 30 minute walk away) was unthinkable. But online I felt surrounded every day. Those dark days are hard.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had even thought to seek out message boards when Facebook and Twitter weren't even born. Keep looking at the light and you'll remember that you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how quickly things have changed. Always good to know that there is someone out there that knows how you are feeling on any given day.

      Delete