Friday, May 28, 2010

You Say Pretentious, I Say Smart?

In previous posts I mentioned that we have a rather large extended family. All of our parents are divorced, and now remarried with stepsiblings, half siblings, full siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and great grandparents in the mix.

Lucas turned 11 months old today and his first birthday is fast approaching. When discussing his party, a small family gathering just isn't in the cards with our blended broods so we've decided to host an open house. Friends and family can stop by at their leisure, with our anchor being the all important cake moment.

My husband suggested we have it catered. On many levels, this is a good idea. As a Type A mommy, I run the risk of stressing myself out over all the details - food, decorations, beverages, cake etc. Having it catered allows me to enjoy my guests as well as revel in the miracle that graced our presence one year ago.

However, there is a little voice in my head. One that used to laugh at moms who would cater a one-year-old's birthday party. I mean, isn't that rather pretentious?

But now sitting on the other side, I see it as a godsend. And one that I will gladly take on, even if there are moms snickering behind my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment