Saturday, April 3, 2010

Does 11 p.m. Exist?

There was a time when I would be getting ready to go out at 10 p.m. There was a time when I didn't go to a bar before 10:30 p.m. unless you wanted to be the first to arrive. There was time when I would see the clock strike 2 a.m. because that's the time I was getting home.

In my post-baby life, I am often in bed at 10 p.m. I'm not necessarily asleep but tweeting or on Facebook from my iPhone - however, I have brushed my teeth and am just minutes from lights out. I still see 2 a.m. but only if Lucas experiences an abrupt wake-up and needs some snuggle time before going back to sleep.

We recently had a baby-free night out with friends as Lucas had a sleepover at one of his aforementioned grandparents' house. We had a lovely dinner and went for a drink post-meal. After one martini at Fazooli's with the drowning techno beats, I was ready for home. We couldn't hear the people we were with, and since I missed an afternoon nap, I was fading quickly.

I truly don't know how I used to have the energy to go out all weekend and at all hours. It seems like a lifetime ago and now I have to rest up to go the distance on those rare occasions we escape the parent hood. Is this is what they call the Carlsberg years?

1 comment:

  1. I have been so there, Jessica, for about Aisha's age plus let's say 5 months. I don't remember what 10:00 even looks like, if I can help it. 5:30 a.m., however, I now know quite well.

    ReplyDelete