Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't Mess with the Schedule

Having been attached to a Blackberry for much of my career, I am no stranger to schedules, calendars and appointments. But nothing prepared me for Lucas' schedule and how we will move heaven and earth to ensure his routine isn't disrupted.

Any class/activity that Lucas and I participate in must work with his nap schedule. We have become early bird diners, often dining out at 5 p.m. to accomodate Lucas' bedtime routine. Visits/appointments must fall in between nap times and we'll decline different invitations if it won't work for Lucas.

Some folks must think we're nuts. But when you figure out a routine, especially if your baby is napping regularly and sleeping through the night, you don't want to mess with it. When you change up the routine for a special occasion/guest, it can throw the next few days out of whack. Though I care deeply about those special occastions/guests, I have to weigh my sanity and sleep very carefully, as I am the one dealing with the ramifications of that screwed up schedule.

So if we ever decline an invitation, or are unable to accomodate a visit, please don't take it personally. We now have to put this little person's needs ahead of our own needs/wants. And my boy needs sleep. As do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment